Polaris Brutus Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm still awaiting delivery of my BRUTUS (2013) and am now investigating how I can make it work hard to justify it's "keep." I knew that I'd be using it to fetch firewood (truck and trailer work great, but the combo is BIG and HEAVY, which limits me to when I can operate them on the property). With this in mind, I know that I need a trailer. I was wondering what kind of things people tow, and, specifically, what kind of trailer people find work well for hauling firewood (split or otherwise- not sure if I'd be pulling out my splitter and splitting in the field, but being able to hook up the splitter to the trailer would be a nice option to have) and other stuff.

Being able to haul a large round bale would be a plus: I might get a larger tractor for this, though would prefer to use the Polaris and a trailer.

I'll also add that I'd like something that my wife could work with. This is one of the reasons why I required an automatic dump on the Polaris. Not sure how loading dumping both the Polaris dump box and a trailer would work, so if anyone does this I'd like to hear about it.

·
Registered
324 Posts
A few firms make UTV hay bale trailers

They do make dedicated ATV/UTV bale trailers for just this purpose, e.g. the "Hay Baby"

I've got a small unbranded utility trailer, but for moving split firewood I primarily use a combination of the bucket and dump bed, so much easier to maneuver and to unload.

Reactions: Duke Snyder

·
Registered
22 Posts
I use my Polaris Brutus HD the same way I used my Bobcat 2300. At my age of 61 the idea of lifting logs to the splitter are not my idea of a good time! Works great hand in hand with the splitter for large logs requiring multiple splits! I also can clean up with it. I have a small Northern Tool red trailer that I can easily move & tow behind it that carries brush & lots of stuff. However with the new Brutus bed capacity of 1250 lbs. I can easily move wood in that.

Attachments

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I used to skid logs and rounds, behind my tractor, on old truck hoods. Little work going on and going off: with logs, however, would need to use tractor's loader to coerce onto the hood.

My splitter will operate vertically. I too am getting older and lifting starts to become a significant risk (to a long-term/permanent injury).

One trailer I'm looking at has a hoist on it. What's nice about this is that you don't have to worry about leaving it behind and then attempting the "oh, I can lift just this one piece" maneuver.

I'd really like to have wire crates that I can toss split wood in. Take them out in the field (empty of course) on a trailer and in the back of the Polaris. They'd come back from the field and get stacked (tractor, using forks) a couple high for storage. With the wood seasoned the crates would then be brought up to the house where the wood would just be pulled from to feed the stove. A system such as this cuts down on a lot of stacking. Here's a discussion of this system (with some pictures):

Great Wall of Wooda

1 - 4 of 4 Posts