Polaris Brutus Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys. Just got my 2014 Brutus HD PTO last Saturday and getting used to how it operates. I had a little problem yesterday while disconnecting the bucket. I drove up a VERY slight incline to set the bucket on 2X4s on a concrete slab. When I lowered the bucket, I neglected to put it in park before shutting the engine off. After disconnecting the bucket I got in and tried to start it and, of course, it would not start as it was in gear. When I attempted to move the lever to neutral or park I could not budge it no way no how. After messing around for quite a while and trying every thing I could think of, I tried rocking the whole vehicle slightly and it rolled back about 6 inches off the incline and big whoop! I was able to move the shift lever into park and get the beast started. Obviously I should have shifted into park before shutting the engine off but is this an idiosyncrasy of the Brutus drive train or is there something I should be concerned about?

·
Registered
110 Posts
As Kev said, it should start in gear unless they've changed something on the newer models.

You would have had the same problem if you had put it in Park, it may have started but it would have been stuck in Park. I have learned not to shift out of gear unless absolutely necessary. If you stop on even a slight slope it can be nearly impossible to shift. This happens when the gears (or parking pawl) inside the trans are put under load in any position except neutral, it is probably most pronounced in Park. I installed a parking brake to alleviate the issue, so I can stop on a steep hill and leave it in gear and not worry about it rolling away. I shift between high and low as needed, but I can't remember the last time I used Park or Neutral.

FWIW, the Polaris Rangers have the same issue (stuck in Park) ever since they eliminated the parking brake on those. There are several remedies including one called Pawltector. I'm not sure but I think the Pawltector for a Ranger 900 should work on the Brutus. If I get some extra time I'll do a writeup on how I installed my parking brake, including wiring it show "BRAKE" on the Brutus display and sounding a beeper if you attempt to drive with the brake applied.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts