Polaris Brutus Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
hey this is my first post on here. I used to be on forums a LOT a number of years ago but not so much anymore.

Anyway.. We have two of these at work and they're a fickle pain. They're a 2017 ToolCat 3650. 2700 Miles, 377 hours on them. Kohler KDW1003 engines. No EGR, no Turbo.
When they're used, they get used all day every day. Basically running back and fourth to sections, then to and from the shop. it's a 200 acre area with rolling hills. 700 acres total but 200 usable. Grounds maintenance use.

I'm the fleet manager and mechanic here and I've been learning these machines for the past couple months and what I've found is they need clean fuel filters. The last time I changed one was 8-26-18 and the unit started falling on it's face again. I got them dialed in pretty well, otherwise. The HP screw/spring is tightened up, they have the updated arm and I adjusted the pedal/cable almost to the center to accommodate the rolling hills. We've had these back to the bobcat dealer a hand full of times and they didn't help much at all. They claimed they replaced fuel filters and said the unit was out of fuel (?? :confused: ) yeah right.... They tried charging us $1400 to replace an actuator and a sensor for the rear locking Dif and then said we're overloading them. ?? :mad:

So shortly after that I started taking this on myself. I replaced the fuel filters and treated them with some Howe's fuel treatment and the problem is solved. They screw now.. ?? 26mph on flat road and darn near kissing 28 going downhill. 10-12mph up a good grade from a stop.

Also When I say "fall on their face" I mean if you try to do anything outside of baby-footing it, they just bog and want to stall. Even if you don't quickly depress the pedal, just on normal driving it would intermittently want to stall. The RPMs would drop and eventually go back up. After new filters, Howe's treatment and adjusting the HP screw/spring, quickly depress the shuttle pedal and they sit at 3600 rpm as they should. -Based on the adjustment specs I've found on here.

Our fuel holding tanks aren't that old and they're clean (1000gal.) We get 700 gal deliveries of ULSD fuel every 3-4 weeks so the fuel isn't old. These are the only two pieces of machinery that have fueling issues.

My question is... is there a larger filter we can use on these? Any other safe fueling modifications? it seems like the Bobcat filter is a bit small and doesn't do well with volume. or is too small a rating for what the engine likes to see for fuel volume.. I shouldn't have to replace fuel filters every 2-3 months on these. And the fuel filter p/n is Bobcat 6 988 96.

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
And correction on the fuel filter part number we're running... It's 6 988 961 Bobcat number. I'm just wondering if the bobcat filters suck.. or if there's a bigger one we could be running or even possibly increase the size of the stock fuel lines going into the injector pump itself.

I started here 7 months ago and I guess they've been having constant problems with these machines but at least now I got them to be usable. Just have to keep changing the fuel filters... which is a bit ridiculous.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Remote fuel filter for capacity and water separation?

My question is... is there a larger filter we can use on these? Any other safe fueling modifications? it seems like the Bobcat filter is a bit small and doesn't do well with volume. or is too small a rating for what the engine likes to see for fuel volume.
I'm not seeing any available larger filters with the same thread pitch. So you'd need to replace the filter mounting base to switch to a bigger filter.

Polaris Brutus fuel filter is Donaldson Twist&Drain™ P551099, listed as a direct replacement for Bobcat 6988961.

I've been thinking about getting a new larger fuel filter/water separator, with easier water drain, install it at the output of the (low pressure, 5PSI) fuel pump:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts