Polaris Brutus Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just out playing with new snowblower waiting for snow. Does anyone have a problem with the shoes digging into the cement driveway ?

·
Registered
328 Posts
Can you post a picture?

Does anyone have a problem with the shoes digging into the cement driveway ?
My driveway is asphalt, haven't had that problem with the skid shoes.

Can you post a picture of the shoes as currently adjusted?

·
Registered
328 Posts
You may be too new to be able to upload here.

Maybe upload to https://postimages.org/ and put the "Direct link" url in

·
Registered
1 Posts
Polaris Brutus snowblower

This is my first time using the snowblower and it left scratch marks all over my asphalt driveway, not sure if its because its new and not wore in, or the snowblower is so heavy. I have the skid shoe all the way up and that's how I had shoes adjusted om my John Deere tractor with the snowblower and no scratch marks!!

·
Registered
328 Posts
Adjust skid shoes

Sounds like the skid shoes are not properly adjusted, or you need practice setting the tilt and controlling the downforce applied?

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have mine at the factory settings like Kevin. The main scrape edge is at least a 1/4" off the ground. I have the tilt adjusted so everything is perpendicular to the ground and I run it on "float" mode. Unfortunately it does not scrape right to the ground, but because I'm using this on an older parking lot the ground is uneven. So most times when both skid shoes are touching, the middle scrape edge is also touching. I have not noticed any major scrapes in the pavement surface. Can you tell what area is causing the scrapes?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Was blowing some heavy snow and heard a clicking sound not sure if chain needs to be adjusted. Anyone ever had that problem?

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have heard the same clicking noise when blowing heavy snow with my belt drive blower last season. I'm guessing that the noise is from the shoot moving back and forth. I hope it's not something with the pto.

·
Registered
13 Posts
The clicking also happened with my 2013 Brutus/2016 Snowblower in a VERY heavy snow/blizzard we had last winter. I believe it's the PTO clutch reacting under that heavy load. Since then I have used the PTO all summer for mowing without any noise, and also haven't heard the clicking this year in more normal snow levels.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yea never gave that a thought I hope it is I was pricing parts for snowblower they are outrageous. I think a new belt for blower was like 300 bucks. Was going to buy one for a s spare but not at that price!!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
When you guys say a 'clicking' sound, can you be more specific. I notice that when I start to push the capacity of the blower, there is a clicking noise and the whole bobcat shakes just a bit. If I back off a little and make sure there isn't any snow piled in front of the blower it all goes away and runs smooth. Basically it happens when the PTO comes under full load. I brought it to the dealer as its still under warranty and they said everything looked fine.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Yes, the way you described it is the way I remember it too, there was an audible click and I could also feel a slight vibration in the cab, and it went/has gone away when I pulled back on the PTO load.

·
Registered
163 Posts
The only time I have clicking is when I have the tilt on the blower to high or low and the PTO universal joints start rattling and shaking the blower.

I live in Northern Maine (average of 115 inches of snow a year) and am always into a heavy load, mine is a chain drive older blower.

·
Registered
13 Posts
As I mentioned, I haven't experienced it since the blizzard we got last year, but the other variable that's different for me is that this year I've made a point of making sure that it's perfectly level before locking out the tilt, and I've been using float mode this year as well (didn't use it last year) - and it's been perfect. We've only had one large storm, but no issues.

So I can definitely be convinced that that clicking wasn't the clutch and it was universal joint rattle as you've noted. Thanks for sharing.

Dan

·
Registered
20 Posts
We don't get a whole lot of "regular" snow here in Northern Virginia. We do however get the every-5-year-or-so 30+ inch snow dump. I was looking at a snowblower for the Brutus but they are pricey. Anyone have any issue with moving 6-10" of snow with the blade? I've got a good sized tractor (75hp) that can handle the heavy stuff but hate to chew up the drive for something less than a snowmageddon. Would much rather use the Brutus for the light work.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts