Polaris Brutus Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was blowing snow last night, and I noticed that at the end of my run there would be a large amount of snow pushed out in front of the blower. I have never really noticed this as much on any of my other blower I have owned over the years. Granted you will get "some" but not as much as I am seeing.

So you have two augers, the front main intake auger and the discharge auger. When you look at them both when the blower is running, the discharge auger appears to be spinning (ratio wise) much faster than the front intake auger, which is normal. But at the rate that the discharge auger is spinning you would assume the front auger could be spinning a little faster to feed more into the discharge auger.

Anyone seen this issue addressed and re-worked? Assuming it's a gear radio setting. I know I make it easy sounding to change the gear ratios, but has anyone tried to address this?

·
Registered
328 Posts
What PTO speed do you run at?

Definitely leaves more snow behind than my "small" snowblower, I assumed that is because of the larger gap between the auger and the ground (partly because I need to re-adjust the skid shoes).

I haven't noticed much snow piled up in front. When I get to the end of the driveway I slow forward progress to a crawl (but use the speed control to keep the PTO at full speed) and let it chew through any remaining snow until no more exits the impeller chute.

What PTO speed do you run at? I try not to let it fall below 1800RPM

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Definitely leaves more snow behind than my "small" snowblower, I assumed that is because of the larger gap between the auger and the ground (partly because I need to re-adjust the skid shoes).

I haven't noticed much snow piled up in front. When I get to the end of the driveway I slow forward progress to a crawl (but use the speed control to keep the PTO at full speed) and let it chew through any remaining snow until no more exits the impeller chute.

What PTO speed do you run at? I try not to let it fall below 1800RPM
I run mine pretty much full throttle. Per the manual, you are to back it off a bit. I back it off a little so it's not 100% wide open.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I run mine pretty much full throttle. Per the manual, you are to back it off a bit. I back it off a little so it's not 100% wide open.
I find the blower works best if you keep the PTO speed as close to the recommended 2000RPM.

When I first started using mine I was really discouraged with the performance. I found it bogged down easily and left large piles at the end compared to my Massy tractor and 48" front blower.

I read the manual to ensure I wasn't doing something wrong and realized I wasn't setting throttle correctly to achieve the correct PTO speed.

If you set your display for engine RPM, when you engage the PTO your PTO RPM is displayed below in a smaller size. When set to 2000 RPMs, with no load, the blower works much better. The piles at the end are smaller and it doesn't seam to bog down as badly.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I don't have issues of bogging down. It just doesn't seem to feed the impeller quick enough.
I think that at higher RPM the auger is "overthrowing" the snow. instead of it going into the impeller it gets tossed all the way around and out the front at the top end auger. This is why a lower rpm reduces the piling up problem a bit.

·
Registered
43 Posts
-35celius this am , had the block heater on for two hours, started on second try, I ran the blower at 1800 rpms and it did a good job clearing the four foot drifts and the heavy snow in driveway from the city plows.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Looks like the same folk who run this forum also run the SnowBlower forum?

-35celius this am
Now that's cold. Any lower, °C vs °F becomes moot.:cool:

...had the block heater on for two hours, started on second try, I ran the blower at 1800 rpms and it did a good job clearing the four foot drifts and the heavy snow in driveway from the city plows.
I seem to recall reading that 1800RPM is the sweet spot for the blower, but I can't find where I first heard it, might have been on one of the demo videos from last winter...

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Looks like the same folk who run this forum also run the SnowBlower forum?

Now that's cold. Any lower, °C vs °F becomes moot.:cool:

I seem to recall reading that 1800RPM is the sweet spot for the blower, but I can't find where I first heard it, might have been on one of the demo videos from last winter...
Next snow fall I will try different RPM's to see what works the best. But there is no way in **** 1800 RPM's VS 3600 RPM's its going to throw it as far.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Next snow fall I will try different RPM's to see what works the best. But there is no way in **** 1800 RPM's VS 3600 RPM's its going to throw it as far.
You are confusing engine rpms with PTO shaft RPMs. The 1800 number refers to PTO shaft rpms.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Engine RPM != PTO RPM

Your PTO is running at 3600 RPM?:confused:

You are confusing engine rpms with PTO shaft RPMs. The 1800 number refers to PTO shaft rpms.
Yep. the PTO runs at a different (lower) RPM than the engine, snowblower manual says operation at above 2000 RPM is unwise.

You can use the engine speed lever to bring up the engine speed to increase the PTO speed to keep the PTO in the range of 1800-2000RPM.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Your PTO is running at 3600 RPM?:confused:

Yep. the PTO runs at a different (lower) RPM than the engine, snowblower manual says operation at above 2000 RPM is unwise.
No I am not. Having the PTO throttle full force at 3600 RPM's VS a PTO throttle at 1800 RPM's, there is no way that will throw snow at a greater distance.

Although, I could be wrong, I will check this out next snow fall.

·
Registered
328 Posts
All Polaris manuals say "Do not exceed the PTO speed of 2000 RPM."

Unless you are a Polaris rep, how have you owned your Brutus? Because what Polaris says in the manual I have says your idot. Just sayin......
Don't trust what I say, trust Polaris official website:

Look for the text "Do not exceed the PTO speed of 2000 RPM." and "The PTO has a rated speed of 2000 RPM."

·
Registered
163 Posts
I too have a big bunch of snow pushed out in front of my blower, I saw that on some you tube videos also. I have no problem with power as the only time I got it to lug down some was when I pulled heavy wet snow off my house and garage, it was over 2 feet of heavy wet packed snow, it powered thru just fine, this is the most powerful blower I have ever run. I live in northern Maine and have lived in Alaska also, I've used multiple different walk behind blowers and have owned both a Massy Ferguson compact and sub compact tractors with front blowers. This has the most power, but sucks at blowing snow. It pushes it out front instead feeding into the impeller and it doesn't throw it as far as it should.
It's engineered wrong, the back part of the blower should be rounded to match the augers and the chute has something wrong with it, I'm just not sure what. If I could modify it to match a Honda snowblower I would, because Honda blowers throw snow better than anything I ever saw.

·
Registered
163 Posts
The gauge cluster has 2 rpm read outs, the top one is the engine rpm's and the smaller bottom one is the pto shaft rpm's.

For snow blowing with the hand throttle full open, the engine rpm's should read 3600-3700 rpm's.
The pto shaft rpm's should read around 2000 rpm's.
The blower likes the pto rpm readout to stay between 1800-2000 rpm's.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I will look more closely next time it snows. I guess I didn't realize there were two RPM's being displayed.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts