Polaris Brutus Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
I've noticed that if I fail to completely clear out all ice from the auger and impeller, it'll snap the shear pin when I go to start it because the auger is frozen in place.

Now I disconnect the PTO shaft and make sure it rotates freely, before giving it power.

·
Registered
2 Posts
This happened to me last season. Disassembled the snowblower transmission and found that the bearing race had broken so that the secondary drive shaft (turning the lifter) was off axis. The lifter would scrape inside its cage, shearing multiple bolts (>20). I ordered replacement bearings with races (from Bobcat) and was able to fix the problem. Also installed a replacement drive belt. This repair gave me the opportunity to purchase three different size bearing pullers and learn some new things. Good luck.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Rarely break an auger pin, just the impeller

Is it always the impeller (the fan-like spinner in the back)? Where do you get your replacements?

Disassembled the snowblower transmission and found that the bearing race had broken so that the secondary drive shaft (turning the lifter) was off axis. The lifter would scrape inside its cage, shearing multiple bolts
Mine seems good, is unable to scrape the sides unless the pin is already broken and the impeller is pushed back out of place on the shaft.

There is a lot of space around it for debris to get in and cause a jam, but I never find anything stuck in the gap when I finally get all the packed-in snow out of there to work on it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
We break shear pins all season. Impeller pins break about 8 times more frequently than auger pin. I buy pins on eBay (Ariens 510015). Most pins have been fine, although one batch seemed particularly weak and breaks very easily. Spraying warm water into the impeller can accelerate snow removal. We keep a hammer, pin driver and two 1/2 box end wrenches under the driver's seat for inevitable shear bolt replacement. I think the low speed of the PTO leads to high torque and contributes to pins shearing, particularly if the snow is wet and heavy. Glad that the snowblower transmission bearings are OK for you so far.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts