Polaris Brutus Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's some pics of my Brutus with a Fisher 1000 tailgate salter attached. It's a unit normally used on a full size pickup and may be a little heavy for the Brutus. I certainly wont be filling it to the brim. Straps are a must. With the hitch alone it would definitely put too much torque on the axle. Once the straps are installed the load is distributed to the frame and makes for a nice sturdy mount.

I picked up the hitch extension at Princess Auto on sale for $25. Fits perfectly lengthwise with the tailgate removed and raises the unit up to a more natural height.

The straps cannot be attached to the rings inside the dump box. Simply too much weight for the plastic box and too much stress on the dump mechanism. I installed d-rings to some existing frame bolts behind the cab and made slots in the bed to allow the straps to run though so load goes right to the frame.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Salt Spreader

Very nice install !!! I like the way you ran the straps from the spreader to the frame instead of the dump bed d-rings. How much does the spreader weigh empty? I'm running a SR-210 snowex. Dry weight is around 75 lbs. I usually run (4) 50# bags at a time. The rear axle seems to handle the weight ok. I would't want to run (8) bags in it but a think under 450 lbs (including the spreader) is acceptable.

With the spreader full of salt, i can plow in 2wd with the rear diff locked. Are you running the plow shoes on the plow? I removed them because I wasn't getting a clean enough pass with them on.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Locking Fuel Cap

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/860200387-Black-Lockable-Tank-Cap/forum/Fx2XT5E95B97IQP/-/1/ref=cm_cd_dp_aar_ql?_encoding=UTF8&asin=B006O5J6M8&cdSort=best"]http://www.amazon.com/860200387-Black-Lockable-Tank-Cap/forum/Fx2XT5E95B97IQP/-/1/ref=cm_cd_dp_aar_ql?_encoding=UTF8&asin=B006O5J6M8&cdSort=best[/ame]

A little off subject, the above link is a locking gas cap that will fit the Brutus. My Brutus stays on a high priority lot 24/7 and I wanted to make sure the diesel fuel was secure and tamper proof.. Took me a while to find, but this cap fits. Came with (2) keys, very well build part. I'll grab a photo the next time I'm at the lot salting. Blends in with the surrounding plastics and looks factory.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The Fisher 1000 I'm running has a dry weight of 155lbs. It can hold 8cft. @ aprox. 40lbs per cft for rock salt that would be a full weight of 475lbs. I'm gonna try different loads and see how they feel.

I know with just the 155lbs unit on the extended hitch without the straps it really wanted to twist the axle. It was very bouncy.

My shoes are on the plow but i have them set up high so they aren't doing anything.

The lockable gas cap is good info. I'm lucky. I'm able to keep my machine in a heated garage where I plow.

·
Registered
324 Posts
That's a bit extreme for me, I think I will go with a SnowEx. I have a little tow-behind sander that I still use when I need to spread salt/sand traction mix, but would like a spreader for calcium ice melt that doesn't make the whole unit so long that I can't turn around in a tight space.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts