Polaris Brutus Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody replaced their battery?

Stock battery is 32AH/575CCA (Polaris #4014132-P). Looks like a generic flood-filled battery with post terminals, left post positive.

Seems a lot of Polaris Ranger owners install the Odyssey PC1200LMJT when the factory battery reaches it's useful lifespan.

Anybody here using this, or another AGM, as your replacement battery?

·
Registered
110 Posts
I would stick with a regular flooded lead acid battery. The alternator/regulator is designed for a flooded battery. AGM and Gel batteries have different charging requirements. The difference may be minimal but it does exist, and it's important enough that vehicle manufactures use different charging calibrations for flooded and AGM batteries. In my 20 years of servicing battery powered industrial equipment I have seen no advantage in AGM or gel batteries. They cost more and they do not last as long. I would only use one where one was originally specified, or where there is a non-spillable requirement.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Suitable flooded lead acid battery with same CCA and no bigger than 7.73"x6.6"x7"?

The stock flooded lead acid battery measures out at 7.73"L x 6.55"W x 7.01"H (or 7 1/2" to the top of the post), Brutus part is the same battery used in Ranger and RZR.

The local Polaris dealer has the real Polaris part for $130 and only offers a 6 month warranty, about the same price as an aftermarket 30LA AGM with a 2 year warranty. I haven't identified any suitable non-Polaris flooded batteries with similar aH/CCA ratings.

Not so much disappointed in the Polaris price as the skimpy warranty.

·
Registered
110 Posts
It doesn't appear to be a standard size battery...another strike against Polaris in my book. I think I'd get a group 26 battery and make it fit. It looks like it will drop right in, just need to modify the hold down strap.
I can buy an Exide group 26 locally for $80, with 2 year warranty. Seems worth a try.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I may have to upgrade my battery here. I've had to recharge my battery a couple times in the last few months, so it's not holding a charge anymore. Anyone else do this yet and have any recommendations?

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think your best bet is to hunt around on the Polaris Ranger & RZR discussion boards to see what the Ranger folk are using as replacement batteries.

Since I relocated the air intake, I'm working on a replacement for the vented cover to fit a snap-in Noco charger input with charge level indicator:

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'm having issues with the OEM battery not able to hold a charge despite having the alternator being confirmed as putting out 90A as it's suppose to. The issue seems to be related to when the radiator fan turns on and off. It does so appropriately at the temperatures that is specified. After heavy use when the fan is on frequently is when I eventually lose charge. Does it seem reasonable that the cable between the fan and battery terminal's could be bad, relay seem's to be fine. Just wondering what you all thought, been an issue for a while.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Measure the fan load?

Does it seem reasonable that the cable between the fan and battery terminal's could be bad, relay seem's to be fine.
Or it could be the fan itself?

A DC clamp meter should show what the entire fan circuit draws when running. The fuse and relay are rated for 40A, I don't know what the expected load is.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts