Polaris Brutus Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just looking at the official Polaris Brutus website and the specs list the 904cc Yanmar engine. Did they switch back to Yanmar or is it just outdated info?

·
Registered
327 Posts
I suspect outdated info, or does Yanmar now meet the new emissions standards?

I suspect outdated info.

IIRC, they switched from Yanmar to Kohler to meet emissions -- does Yanmar now have a emissions compliant version of the 904cc engine?

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I looked at the parts catalog for 2017 and it shows the Kohler. I guess they put as much effort into updating the website as they do supporting the stuff they sell. ;)

I'm not convinced that emissions compliance was the sole reason for the change. John Deere is still selling Gators with the old Yanmar 3TNV70 and lawn tractors with the Minimax. I suppose Deere has a better relationship with Yanmar and Polaris got a better deal from Kohler.

I also just noticed Yanmar is selling UTVs now. It looks like a re-badged Yamaha. No diesel option.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The 3TNM72 904cc Minimax that was used in the Brutus has been replaced with a 3TNM74 993cc Minimax that is Tier 4 Final compliant. I'm not sure when it became available but as far as i know there was no gap in sales of the JD machines that use the Minimax.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Doing a little more research tonight, I found out the 3TNM74 was introduced in January 2012 and used by JD in their 2013 models. So the story about switching to Kohler for emissions reasons is not true.

·
Registered
327 Posts
What's the price increment between the old 3TNM72 and the new tier-4 3TNM74?

When Polaris made the switch to Kohler for their UTVs, they talked up the ability to run biodiesel, issued press releases about the new Tier 4-compliant Kohler diesel engines...

Now for 2017 they're back to talking up the ...isolation-mounted, fuel efficient YANMAR® diesel power plant delivers low vibration and lower speed torque...

I notice they still aren't using any form of the word "quiet" :rolleyes:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts