Polaris Brutus Forum banner
21 - 40 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
I'm going to wait till winter to see if I need the extra heat near my foot before I insulate the center hump. It has the hot hydraulic and engine cooling lines going to the coolers up front running thru it.
Other wise I run the A/C most of the time so my foot doesn't cook.
I have had a diesel pickup, compact and subcompact tractors and a block heater works great, they won't start below zero without it.
I usually plug in the heater 20 min. To an hour before using them, also I have a timer on the cord that I can set so it will be ready at 3 am when I get up to clear snow during a big storm.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Are you running synthetic 5w-40 oil or the 'winter' 10w-30? I hope using a synthetic oil this winter will be enough for cold starting, i don't have anywhere to plug in where the machine will sit.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I will be using the 5-40 come winter, and will just stay with it year around after that.
All my diesels wouldn't start below zero in the past, I don't know about the Brutus/ Bobcat 3650. Some people had them last winter, any one else know how they start in winter?

·
Registered
328 Posts
I'd expect the Brutus to have the same issues any diesel engine would with cold weather starting. Starter has preheat (see the manual), but that only helps so much, doesn't to a block heater or oil pan heater.
I hope using a synthetic oil this winter will be enough for cold starting, i don't have anywhere to plug in where the machine will sit.
If you can't plug in the machine (to a block heater & batter tender), you might consider at least bringing the battery inside if it will be sitting for more than a couple of days.

How cold does it get where you are?

Oil viscosity is just one concern. I have a small diesel generator, last winter had a ice storm where it would not start. First I swapped out the battery, then it would turn over but not start, so I tried to drain the fuel tank -- ice in the fuel line and gelled diesel fuel. Solution:

·
Registered
56 Posts
I went to 3 polaris dealers today and not one dealer had the suggested 5w-40 in stock. I have used shell rotella synthetic in everything else I own so that is what the brutus will also get. I agree about the battery, I was thinking about running a optima red top (6-pack design) in the winter. It has over 1000 cca. I'm running strobe lights and a salt spreader so it might end up being a must. I bought a 12 pack of lucas anti gel fuel treatments. I'm going to throw one in the tank every week. Hopefully all that will help. We did see -15 last winter so I'm more than a little worried.

·
Registered
328 Posts
I was thinking about running a optima red top (6-pack design) in the winter. It has over 1000 cca. I'm running strobe lights and a salt spreader so it might end up being a must.
Optima definitely makes a difference in cold-weather starting.

Who's salt spreader are you using? Bed mount or hitch mount?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Salt spreader is a hitch mount SnowEx SR-210 with wireless remote. Had to extend the hit mount on spreader by 8" to clear the dump bed. The spreader connects to a 7-pin trailer harness. Just bought the male 7-pin connector and ran wire from battery along the frame.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Not impressed with the lack of attachment availability and dealer knowledge on the Brutus and Bobcat 3650. Local dealer does not stock diesel oil or have a single attachment in stock. Ended up ordering plow off of amazon $2049 shipped to my door. Local dealer wanted over $2300 with 3 week lead time and i had to pick it up from dealership. Had no clue about the aux relief valve either, said he never head of it and i probably didn't need it.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Not impressed with the lack of attachment availability and dealer knowledge on the Brutus and Bobcat 3650. Local dealer does not stock diesel oil or have a single attachment in stock.
It probably varies by region, but this is a real issue. My local Polaris dealer didn't seem at all interested in selling Brutus, with their only one in stock being stuck back in the far corner of the lot. The local Bobcat dealer has been great.

Ended up ordering plow off of amazon $2049 shipped to my door. Local dealer wanted over $2300 with 3 week lead time and i had to pick it up from dealership. Had no clue about the aux relief valve either, said he never head of it and i probably didn't need it.
That's a good price -- my blade (still on order) came out to a bit under $2300 with the aux relief valve.

Here is a good explanation of actuated plow blades and relief:
Auto ATV said:
There are electric, manual, and hydraulic kits currently on the market. All of these have their benefits and detractions. Electric motors or linear actuators can be fast operating, quiet, and fairly inexpensive. The disadvantage of electric units can be their strength. Linear actuators can break or bend if the plow impacts a solid object as they have no built-in relief or clutch. Other electric motors can tear out the gears due to the same problem with having to withstand large plowing impacts. Manual turns are simple and inexpensive but require more work from the operator. With most of these systems you need to pull a cord that releases the position pin, then you drive into a snow bank until the blade turns, and you then release the cord. It works most of the time but not all the time, occasionally forcing you back off the machine to get the position pin to lock back into place.
Hydraulic kits are the most expensive yet the most rugged. Hydraulics are made to withstand the extreme plowing forces, can move quickly, and are usually relief valve protected. With a relief valve, the extra pressure built up from hitting an immoveable object “pops off” or reliefs. The relief will normally reset itself allowing you to continue plowing. Hydraulics can be a little noisier than electric systems but not terrible.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Thank you for the info. I should have my plow mid week. I ordered it on Friday. I'll post some pictures as soon as i get it.

Havent found any information on this: is the throttle (yellow handle) on the center console only for PTO attachments or can it be used to speed up plow movement?

·
Registered
116 Posts
The yellow knob is for PTO engagement. Push center while pulling up the knob will engage. The orange lever is for throttle control. Yes, it will speed up hydraulic response and implement movement.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Proper landscaping,
If you have a hard time starting in cold weather, you might want to get a small propane or keroseen infrared heater to warm up the engine. I have never had one start below 0, and my last one wouldn't start below +20, but I have heard of other folks not having any problems with cold weather.
The owners manual says to cycle the glow plugs several times before trying to start it in cold weather.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Ketchn, I changed out the 'summer' oil with Shell Rotella synthetic. I hope that along with an Otima Red Top battery is enough to get her started in the cold. I'm no where near a 110v outlet so a block heater is out of the question. I do have a small propane heater that i will leave in my truck all winter, hopefully i wont have to use it.

Two weekends ago the morning temps on saturday and sunday were 36, and 31. I started the brutus on saturday with the summer oil in it, had a somewhat long crank and ran rough for a minute. I changed the oil satruday afternoon (shell synthetic rotella). The brutus started much easier on sunday morning and the motor never stumbled after starting.

I have access to a drive in climate chamber, I'm going to run some tests starting at 30 degrees down to 0 degrees and she how she starts. I can plot battery voltage before, during, and after staring. This will give me an idea of what to expect when it sits outside on a lot for the entire winter.

·
Registered
328 Posts
With my other diesel engine, I've found that the issue is more with the fuel than the oil or cylinder temperature.

Do you have a supply of #1 diesel to mix with the fuel? Can you keep fuel in a warmer location and leave only sufficient #1 diesel (treated) in the tank while sitting outside to keep the fuel pump primed?

·
Registered
56 Posts
keviNH, i believe the local gas stations have #1 around nov 1 thru early spring. I'm also going to use Power Service (winter) additive to help prevent gel. As long as we don't see the sub zeros temps with 25+ mph wind gusts like last year, I think I will be ok. Last year would have probably been a different story. We had one fully week when it never got about +5 degrees F.

·
Registered
328 Posts
I should ask them for the shipping pallet, I need more firewood

Received plow today, I'll get some pictures post after I hook it up.
Any progress on pictures?

My Brutus goes in for the "auxiliary relief kit" tomorrow, will come back with the plow mounted, just in time for our first snow of the season.
:cool:

·
Registered
56 Posts
Any progress on pictures?

My Brutus goes in for the "auxiliary relief kit" tomorrow, will come back with the plow mounted, just in time for our first snow of the season.
:cool:

I didn't have a chance to mount the plow yet, but i did get the salt spreader mounted and wired up.

Attachments

·
Registered
328 Posts
Salt spreader

I didn't have a chance to mount the plow yet, but i did get the salt spreader mounted and wired up.
Which model SnowEx is that?

I'm tempted to get a quality hitch-mounted spreader, but might go cheap and just buy one that is only rated for free-flowing ice melt, and if I really need to use sand+salt just go back to the tow-behind manual spreader...

21 - 40 of 47 Posts