Polaris Brutus Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a 2018 Brutus. I live in the mountains of Montana at about 6300 feet. After reading the owner's manual, I saw that the PTO shouldn't run over 2,000 rpm. I cranked it up to see how fast it was running and I can't get it over 1500. Is this a break-in issue? Probably only have about 10-15 hours on the engine.

Also, engine runs really dirty. Belches black smoke and reeks of diesel. When I'm done using it I reek of diesel just from the smoke surrounding the machine. As cold weather was just setting in when I brought it here (had to go 300 miles to find a dealer that had one for sale), I added the white bottle anti-gel to the fuel anticipating sub 20º temps. Could this have anything to do with either issue? I also started out with #2 diesel, instead of 50/50 anticipating very cold temps. Haven't had any luck finding a block heater. Called Polaris twice and they don't seem to even know what I'm talking about. So I have to leave it outdoors. Can't put it in the garage as the diesel fumes would poison the whole house.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
110 Posts
At that altitude you're going to be down about 5 HP on a machine that's already seriously underpowered. It's running dirty because it's not getting enough air. I don't think there's anything you can do to correct it besides turbocharging. You could adjust the fueling to reduce the smoke, but that won't get the power back.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts