Polaris Brutus Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After some research and test driving one in 2014, I purchased a used 2013 HD from a dealer in Minnesota (I live in the Kansas City area of Missouri) sight unseen in February of 15. This post may not be of value to many as I do not have a cab or the PTO feature (that seems like a large reason for many to buy). I use mine primarily for general chores around my small 20 acre property. I harvest a lot of firewood and am constantly working on keeping brush and trees along my fence lines at bay. I purchased it with 56 hours and now have 674 hours.

Pros:
Bed and weight capacity, I have loaded green wood as tall as the rops in the larger than usual bed, when done there I load the bucket to the brim, no issues.
Front bucket, for my use it is ideal - I have a long gravel driveway and it is great for adding gravel, turning a huge mulch pile I have in a ravine (with steep sides) clearing snow of both my concrete and gravel drives. With experience and fairly soft topsoil, I can even dig limited (1/2-1 inch) of undisturbed dirt. Don't expect to lift anything to pickup truck height (I really would like a taller loader on it)
Towing, I have multiple trailers, a 22 foot boat 4,000 lb (with trailer) that I can pull up an incredible incline to my pole barn - check out this YouTube:
While I am capable of doing some dumb things, I would never attempt to go down that hill with that boat! I pull large heavy logs out of the woods that I keep saying "this will never pull it" And yes it can not pull all of them
Easy on fuel, have multiple other diesel items (tractor, Bad Box mower) Brutus just sips in comparison. I am sure it drinks a lot more with higher rpm PTO use
Reliability, I am fairly handy and have done most of the PM maintenance myself, I found it too difficult to take on (rather finish) a broken shift cable and took to dealer for that - Just a broken shift lever and PM in over 600 hours? I am happy (I have noticed in the last few weeks my CV boots are cracking, needing replacement) I don't know what kind of battery it had in it, but it lasted almost 6 years

Cons:
Service: While I have a Polaris dealer 6 miles away, I have to drive to a town 40 miles North for a Polaris dealer that works with the Brutus model. Good thing I can get most things online
Speed - For me this has not been a problem. I am addressing it since almost every review mentions it. I primarily use low range. You can not use high starting up an incline. I get about 33 mph in high out on my flat pasture and main road (great for getting mud off the tires)! It takes a good 500 yards to get to full speed. If I go far off property on roads, it slows down considerably on inclines. For work use around my property, it is plenty fast
Noise, Again mentioning it since it is a common complaint. I am so used to wearing ear protection on all my equipment it has not been an issue. Brutus is quiet compared to my CAT on my zero turn at full throttle or my Case 55 hp utility tractor brush hogging. Compared to a gasoline Polaris, it IS louder
Size: Brutus is longer than most side by sides. Takes more space in garages than expected, make sure your trailer is large enough if you plan to transport it.

All in all, I have no regrets. If it was stolen, I would buy another (and improve my security)!

It is the most used year round all purpose tool for my land use -

Kirk

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
After some research and test driving one in 2014, I purchased a used 2013 HD from a dealer in Minnesota (I live in the Kansas City area of Missouri) sight unseen in February of 15. This post may not be of value to many as I do not have a cab or the PTO feature (that seems like a large reason for many to buy). I use mine primarily for general chores around my small 20 acre property. I harvest a lot of firewood and am constantly working on keeping brush and trees along my fence lines at bay. I purchased it with 56 hours and now have 674 hours.

Pros:
Bed and weight capacity, I have loaded green wood as tall as the rops in the larger than usual bed, when done there I load the bucket to the brim, no issues.
Front bucket, for my use it is ideal - I have a long gravel driveway and it is great for adding gravel, turning a huge mulch pile I have in a ravine (with steep sides) clearing snow of both my concrete and gravel drives. With experience and fairly soft topsoil, I can even dig limited (1/2-1 inch) of undisturbed dirt. Don't expect to lift anything to pickup truck height (I really would like a taller loader on it)
Towing, I have multiple trailers, a 22 foot boat 4,000 lb (with trailer) that I can pull up an incredible incline to my pole barn - check out this YouTube: While I am capable of doing some dumb things, I would never attempt to go down that hill with that boat! I pull large heavy logs out of the woods that I keep saying "this will never pull it" And yes it can not pull all of them
Easy on fuel, have multiple other diesel items (tractor, Bad Box mower) Brutus just sips in comparison. I am sure it drinks a lot more with higher rpm PTO use
Reliability, I am fairly handy and have done most of the PM maintenance myself, I found it too difficult to take on (rather finish) a broken shift cable and took to dealer for that - Just a broken shift lever and PM in over 600 hours? I am happy (I have noticed in the last few weeks my CV boots are cracking, needing replacement) I don't know what kind of battery it had in it, but it lasted almost 6 years

Cons:
Service: While I have a Polaris dealer 6 miles away, I have to drive to a town 40 miles North for a Polaris dealer that works with the Brutus model. Good thing I can get most things online
Speed - For me this has not been a problem. I am addressing it since almost every review mentions it. I primarily use low range. You can not use high starting up an incline. I get about 33 mph in high out on my flat pasture and main road (great for getting mud off the tires)! It takes a good 500 yards to get to full speed. If I go far off property on roads, it slows down considerably on inclines. For work use around my property, it is plenty fast
Noise, Again mentioning it since it is a common complaint. I am so used to wearing ear protection on all my equipment it has not been an issue. Brutus is quiet compared to my CAT on my zero turn at full throttle or my Case 55 hp utility tractor brush hogging. Compared to a gasoline Polaris, it IS louder
Size: Brutus is longer than most side by sides. Takes more space in garages than expected, make sure your trailer is large enough if you plan to transport it.

All in all, I have no regrets. If it was stolen, I would buy another (and improve my security)!

Kirk

Guess I am not to post YouTube on this forum - under "Brutus pulling a load"

·
Registered
30 Posts

Pros:
Towing, I have multiple trailers, a 22 foot boat 4,000 lb (with trailer) that I can pull up an incredible incline to my pole barn - check out this YouTube:
While I am capable of doing some dumb things, I would never attempt to go down that hill with that boat! I pull large heavy logs out of the woods that I keep saying "this will never pull it" And yes it can not pull all of them

Cons:

Kirk

·
Registered
30 Posts
I bought my HDPTO from the same dealer with many attachments is any attachments and I have had a generally great experience myself I can't believe they stopped making it As it is a workhorse and a great snow pusher

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.