Polaris Brutus Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anybody installed turn signals or strobes on their Brutus? Any recommendations for routing wires and where to tap for accessory power?

I'm thinking of putting an Amber 1W micro Xenon flasher on the cab roof (street legal for plow vehicles in NH) looks like the easiest connection would be at the windshield washer assembly?

Anybody installed turn signals, particularly the kit from ezturnsignalkit? The front signals should be easy, just drill holes in the existing molded indentations.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I ran my strobe box (whelen) of the cig lighter and ran the wires out thru the pass thru under the hood. Nice thing is the cig lighter only has power with key on. I'll get some pictures posted as soon as i finish up the install.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I need to be visible for plowing, not eye-searingly bright seizure-inducement

I'm going to try the ten-buck mini Xenon strobes and some LED units first, then see what I want to do as a permanent wired-in solution. Will probably go with a low-profile amber LED unit on the roof, just need to make sure I am visible to the big plows when I'm clearing the 3' berm at the bottom of the driveway.

I'll get some pictures posted as soon as i finish up the install.
Pictures would be great.

·
Registered
56 Posts
i did the same thing in my plow truck, ended up being fine at night but no where near enough light during the day. With the whelen kits you need to make certain that are not in your line of vision, otherwise you will end up with a nasty headache from the flashing.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I installed the ez turn signal kit with triple LEDs very nice kit feed from power terminal under hood if you had audio kit installed .otherwise purchase separately . Remove cover protecting hoses at your feet in cab to get to back . we used protective split tubing to protect wires and tie wraps to hold every thing out of harms way . When you get to the back remove tail light assembly and use the hole to make your crimp splices . Takes about 3 hours to do a nice neat install and the LEDs are super bright
Tip use brand new hole saw for lights plan twice drill once !

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I installed the ez turn signal kit with triple LEDs very nice kit feed from power terminal under hood if you had audio kit installed .otherwise purchase separately . Remove cover protecting hoses at your feet in cab to get to back . we used protective split tubing to protect wires and tie wraps to hold every thing out of harms way . When you get to the back remove tail light assembly and use the hole to make your crimp splices . Takes about 3 hours to do a nice neat install and the LEDs are super bright
Tip use brand new hole saw for lights plan twice drill once !
Can you post pictures, particularly of how/where you installed the rear turn signals?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Two yellow above and below tail light and one red on side they mount in a 3/4 inch hole
I'm away this week I'll try to post pictures when I get back
The very helpful folks at easy turn signal asked me to send them pics as well I also bought a horn kit from them

·
Registered
21 Posts
I built my own turn signal kit. After buying the "kit" for an RZR that I had and realizing that the turn signal switch is 24.99, it was easy to find everything else. Installing this weekend. I wire loom and am using waterproof connectors and heat shrink on everything.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Also now have LED bars on the roof. 20" at the front and 7" rear facing. Getting ready to put in LED lights inside the cab. Trying to see at night inside sucks.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
interior lighting options

Also now have LED bars on the roof. 20" at the front and 7" rear facing. Getting ready to put in LED lights inside the cab. Trying to see at night inside sucks.
I agree, lack of interior lighting is annoying. I have a pile of red LEDs leftover from a halloween project, was going to go with the 1950s fighter cockpit look.

Just realized I still have a $25 Sylvania "Mosaic Flexible Light Kit" I picked up at Costco a while back. The kit has 2' strips of flexible thin adhesive LEDs, and is designed to run off a 12VDC transformer, so can pretty much run off the lighter socket on the Brutus. They make another style that is rated for indoor/outdoor.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Are you powering off the lighter outlet permanently? No appropriate switched 12V under the dash?

I started installing my Sylvania Mosaic for interior lighting, ran out of connector cables so wrap-up will wait a few days. Just the one 2' strip I've already mounted, set to the lowest brightness, is sufficient to see at night. If you just want dimmable red, 12V dimmable strips run $3/foot (plus you'll need a constant current controller for dimming). Otherwise, for RGB (controller selectable for any color, white, fading, etc) the Sylvania Mosaic kits show up on eBay often.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Are you powering off the lighter outlet permanently? No appropriate switched 12V under the dash?

I started installing my Sylvania Mosaic for interior lighting, ran out of connector cables so wrap-up will wait a few days. Just the one 2' strip I've already mounted, set to the lowest brightness, is sufficient to see at night. If you just want dimmable red, 12V dimmable strips run $3/foot (plus you'll need a constant current controller for dimming). Otherwise, for RGB (controller selectable for any color, white, fading, etc) the Sylvania Mosaic kits show up on eBay often.
Yes, it's a temp set-up for winter only. I don't like leaving the strobe box in the cab all summer because it ends up getting loaded with dirt and is subjected to a ton vibration. I also remove the light units so they don't get baked by the sun and heat from the radiator. I've done this with a strobe set-up in my plow truck and it's lasted 10 years with no issues.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
That's a neat idea. I was thinking about doing something similar with a pole, hadn't considering combining it with the warning triangle.

·
Registered
22 Posts
A bit late to help Kevin, but maybe idea for someone else on wiring...
I marked my wires with labels & used clear heat shrink to secure them.
Ran all the cables as neatly as possible, using hind sight now I wish I had put the connectors behind the seat rather than up by the roof, however it's tidy & works ok.
Lights are all on automotive spade connectors in case I need to change one out someday.

Sorry some of my pics I wanted to use say "too big for file" and I can't seem to fix rotation on the dome light.
I have turn signals, horn front, rear & side LED floods & a strobe.
Hope this is helpful.

Attachments

1 - 19 of 19 Posts