Polaris Brutus Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys, Problem #2 with my 1014 Brutus. When I first got this bad boy I had a a couple of instances where the shift lever stuck in gear then ,the problem magically went away. Now I seem to be permanently hung up in L gear. It seems solid. I tried taking the shift linkage loose to see if the cable might be the problem but that was loose and did not appear to be the problem. Next put a wrench directly on the shift lever on the transmission and and attempted to force it out of gear but it would not budge. I did not want to force it to the point of breaking. Any ideas of what has happened? I can live with L short term but once in a while would like to open her up.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Gear Shift lever jammed in low gear

An update: After putting up with being stuck in low speed for the last few weeks, I decided to fool around with it. I discovered that if I rocked it back or forth slightly and while still moving, I could move the shift lever up and down with no problem. At least it appears the transmission is not locked up. I am not sure why. Is there any possibility that the idle speed would be contributing to this? I am running about 1750 rpm which is a little high per spec. Any ideas?

·
Registered
110 Posts
High RPM doesn't affect these like it does on the Rangers. The hard shifting is caused by loading of the shift dogs inside the gearbox. On a Ranger that can happen when the idle is too high to allow the clutch to fully disengage. On a Brutus the input shaft to the gearbox is connected directly to the hydraulic motor which does not freewheel like the secondary clutch on a Ranger does. The hydraulic motor holds it's position when the treadle pedal is in the neutral position. So if there is any loading on the driveline it pushes against the stopped hydraulic motor and loads the dogs. Rocking the machine (either by pushing or operating the treadle) is the only way to unload it. Welcome to the world of Polaris.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hard shifting

My 2013 has always been hard to shift out of L to N, P if loaded i.e. on a hill or stopped too quick before taking load off. Always slips into N, P with a little forward or reverse touch of treadle pedal while moving shift lever. My technique is to drive and come to an almost stop while shifting to N, P. I am always cautious to make sure its fully in P or it will run away until it locks in.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I just bought a new Brutus and that was one of the first issues I noted. Found that if I just tap on the accelerator forward or backward it releases the shifter lever every time.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts