Polaris Brutus Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, all!

I'm contemplating purchasing one of these vehicles. It is paramount that my diminutive wife (5') is able to reach the pedals: I was interested in buying a mid size Ranger only to discover that she couldn't reach the pedals! (salesman said to put blocks of wood on the pedals- for a $15k machine, really?) At the time I ruled out the full size Rangers -which DID have the adjustable driver's seat- figuring they were bigger than I needed (again, my wife is pretty small) and the prices were more than I cared to pay- I've figured that if I need to spend big $$ then I'll go with a diesel (everything I have is diesel- truck, tractor and cars).

Polaris has a place-holder for "Seat Height," but it's documented as "N/A."

Can anyone tell me what the measurement from the front seat edge is to the treadle pedal (forward and reverse) and brake pedal with the seat fully forward?

And, can anyone state any experience with putting someone 5' (or shorter/) behind the wheel?

I don't think that it matters, but I'm looking at the HD model.

Thanks!

·
Registered
163 Posts
I'm not at home so I can't measure the seat height, but the seat does not adjust forward or back, my wife is 5'4" and she can only reach the pedals if we put a cushion behind her to move her closer.
The Polaris ranger has a fore and aft moving seat that should bolt on to ours, but that might make the seat 1/2" to 1" higher.
The Brutus is based off the Ranger 900, they look about the same inside.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
"the seat does not adjust forward or back"

Everything that I've read says that it's adjustable. We're talking the Brutus, yes? Even the dealer (whom I'm looking to buy from) told me that it adjusts something like 4".

I'm aware that the seats on the non-fullsize Rangers aren't adjustable: the ones on the fullsize Rangers are.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That's unfortunate. Apparently the dealer is misinformed. How he came up with an actual number is, well, interesting. As someone who would be an out-of-state buyer they wouldn't likely have to deal with me again after the sale.

Kubota offers an adjustable seat (on their worksite models). Even ClubCar does.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
OK, I am NOT going to replace the wife:laugh:, AND, I'm really wanting to figure out how to make the Brutus work. So...

Can anyone tell me what the height of the seat is from the cab floor?

Is propulsion only possible via the treadle? (I've read conflicting info- perhaps it's about establishing engine speed?) Reverse would seem to be less of a stretch, so I don't think I have to worry about that. Guessing that the brake pedal is also less of a stretch.

Attaching a picture of her on the lawn tractor. Even with the seat fully forward she still has to sit forward: I have it on my todo list to see if I can reposition it forward.

Attachments

·
Registered
163 Posts
I'm still not home so can't measure mine, but they make a plate that fits on the treadle pedal, she wouldn't have to reach as far with it. I don't know if it's listed in the Brutus catalog, but it's shown in the Bobcat 3650 catalog.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
they make a plate that fits on the treadle pedal, she wouldn't have to reach as far with it. I don't know if it's listed in the Brutus catalog, but it's shown in the Bobcat 3650 catalog.
Yeah, was looking at that pedal and thought that one could put a board on it. Brake pedal, however, becomes another issue. Do these things essentially stop when you let off the accelerator? That's how it works with my tractor (hydrostatic).

·
Registered
328 Posts
Yes -- on flat ground when you let off the treadle, you come to a stop. Using the brake is necessary on a slope or for quicker stopping.

I found Bobcat part #7230442, it doesn't seem to raise up the pedals, just bridges them?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yes -- on flat ground when you let off the treadle, you come to a stop. Using the brake is necessary on a slope or for quicker stopping.

I found Bobcat part #7230442, it doesn't seem to raise up the pedals, just bridges them?
That's kind of what it looked like to me too. I'm thinking that the treadle pedal might actually make it fairly easy to resolve this issue, pretty much just stacking up on top of it.

Property is pretty much flat, only a few spots where it could be of any concern (and these places I really don't expect to take this anyway).

I talked to the dealer today and got them to correct their misstatement. Penance is to research that Bobcat part0:):D

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just got my Brutus today, in which case I was (finally) able to find the answer to my question.

Seat height is 19"
Reach to forward travel pedal from edge of seat is 21"

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Just got my wife into the seat!:) She has to sit on the edge of the seat to reach the travel pedal:( Going to have to figure out something (I really don't like the idea of placing something behind her back).

·
Registered
328 Posts
Okay, so you want to make the travel pedals higher, reachable from the seat:

Treadle pedals come off with a T-40 bit.

Maybe use the holes to attach a length of 2x4 where the pedal goes, and then re-attach the old pedal at the top?

The brake pedal looks easier to extend with a regular clamp-on extension?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I like the idea of just replacing the existing foot pieces, but as I'll also be driving this I'm kind of thinking of something that's a little more flexible.

Probably go with a 2x4 with loops for attaching to the forward and reverse pedals. On the 2x4 I can build up as needed: use wedge-shaped pieces.

I'll post back on what I end up with.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts