Polaris Brutus Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have the bulletin number for the field fix or tech tip that fixes the command lever and /or adjusts the travel control cable? I am just looking for the number to request it from the dealer.

·
Registered
110 Posts
It seems to be highly guarded information.

I haven't seen the bulletin, but I think I can explain what it covers. Here is a description of the horsepower management function from the 2014 owner's manual.
Horsepower Management
Horsepower management automatically increases or decreases pressure to the hydrostatic
transmission to sustain engine RPM and maintain optimum drive performance.
The horsepower management system uses an ad
justable spring to determine how much the
tractive effort is reduced under load to maintain optimal engine power.
The spring is factory adjusted to achieve a balance between maximizing travel performance
such as speed and acceleration characteristics and minimizing the amount of operator
modulation of the treadle pedal to reduce engine lugging or stalling under loads. The factory
adjustment also accounts for the additional engine load from the optional factory installed air
conditioning.
If less responsive horsepower management is desired (i.e. increased engine lugging during
operation) see your dealer for adjustment.

The early design command lever did not put enough tension on the HP spring and was not adjustable. The updated command lever has a different spring mounting angle that applies more tension on the HP spring, and also uses a longer bolt with a jam nut so that the spring tension can be adjusted. I will attach pictures of both levers so you can see the difference. If you can understand the way the system works, the adjustments are fairly straightforward. You need to do the travel control cable and throttle cable adjustments first. verify these adjustments and then don't mess with them. The HP spring adjustment should be the last thing you do, and you will see pretty dramatic results going from one end of the adjustment to the other. The correct adjustment is somewhat subjective and is a balance between keeping the revs high and getting the maximum swashplate angle. Too loose and you loose swashplate angle, too tight and you loose engine revs, either one reduces travel speed so you want to be somewhere in the middle.

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I adjusted the travel control cable so that the nut closest to the command lever is maxed out and then the outside nut toward the rear of the utv I snugged down. This dropped my reverse speed in high from 16 mph to 11 mph. This helped me climb steep hills between 7-9 mph in low. I tend to get 32 mph on flat in high and that is fine. I just would like to have a little more climbing power in low range. Where do I adjust the throttle cable at? I feel if I can back the reverse down to about 9 mph then I will get the climbing speed up to about 10 mph which I would be happy with. Overall, I am very happy with the UTV I would just like to tweak it a little. My low idle speed is at 1650 rpm. Thanks for any help you can give. I contacted two local dealers and they stated they don't have any idea how to adjust them.

·
Registered
110 Posts
If you can do 32 in high you're getting full travel on the command lever. If you go too far with the travel cable adjustment you will loose some reverse speed with no gain in forward speed, and you could possibly defeat the HP spring. Your low idle should be 1350 +/- 100. After the travel control adjustment you need to adjust both throttle cables attached to the command lever. I'll post the complete adjustment procedure later when I have more time. You'll need to work on the HP spring to gain more climbing power.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi guys,
Looking at the details above,
I have a Brutus 2013, it will do 30 mph, when you go up a incline, it does slow to about 10 mph.
Would their be considered as fine or do I need to make an adjustment to the engine somehow.
In low range gear, the Brutus would pull a house down,great at anything you ask it to do.
Thanks
Stephen.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Anyone know which model years this affects? This has been around for awhile, so do the 2015 models still have this problem?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Not sure what they did, but they said they adjusted it, and it does indeed go 30 now. In my demo of it I didn't have enough room to open it all the way up, so not sure what the starting point was.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I'm planning on making a video of the adjustments, I'm just waiting for some nicer weather. All of the adjustments are covered in the pdf manual that's available for download, except for the final hp spring adjustment that was added as part of the update. That should be included in the newer versions of the manual.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts