Polaris Brutus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi Gentlemen:

Going to buy an HD PTO in the next two weeks...but I'm reeeeally hesitant about it handling the hills on our multi-acre property.

Would LOVE to have your feedback, ideas and cautions (if any) please! We do NOT need 20MPH up or down hills...too dangerous...but we definitely need low end torque to haul wood in the bed from our forest down in the "holler" on our property! WILL THE RIG GET UP THE HILL?

We've used a 2014 John Deere Gator (rental unit) up and down the hills and it was no problem...slooow...but plenty of low end torque even with an 800-1000lb load in the bed!

Worried, based on your comments on other threads, about the dealer problems the Brutus' has been having with 5MPH or under maximum speed up hills. (Pintle level and swash plate issues.)

The hills below are estimated to be about 18-22-degrees. My son's 6ft. frame is silohuetted in black at the top of the hill and when he's standing down the hill near me, his feet are still planted "above" my head height...so it's quite steep.

Thanks VERY much in advance! Dennis

·
Registered
116 Posts
It will climb that grade, but it won't be speedy. You really need to demo a BRUTUS from the local dealer- take it to your property and see for yourself. I demo'd a Kubota RTV 1100 on similar hills before I bought the BRUTUS, and found it's worse. It's just a part of 24 HP diesels and hydrostatic transmissions.

The standard Ranger diesel will climb it no problem. Nothing JD has to offer will touch its Polaris equivalent from a performance standpoint. Even the JD diesel which runs the same Yanmar diesel doesn't have the suspension or ride quality of a Ranger.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I'll add: the climbing performance is subjective. A lot of folks want the BRUTUS to climb like a Ranger 900XP and it's just a different animal.

·
Registered
282 Posts
I'll add: the climbing performance is subjective. A lot of folks want the BRUTUS to climb like a Ranger 900XP and it's just a different animal.
Yup, can't expect it to do that, i guess we have some right to expect it to climb to some extent but it of course has a limit.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Gents...thanks much! I will get a dealer demo and let you know how the climb and descend works on that 20° hill!
ps...wasn't expecting a fast climb...just reliable and no wheels slipping/spinning!

Thanks again!

·
Registered
27 Posts
That hill dry....you will have the brutus in low and fully floored...creeping slow...and wheels will spin..

Wet ..probably wont make it...better off with ranger 900 or that hill..

Please video it.. Cant wait to hear your feedback..

Plus make sure you get on level pavement and put machine in high or low ....foot off brake and rev the rpms with lever all the way and see if machine rolla back slightly...

·
Registered
282 Posts
Gents...thanks much! I will get a dealer demo and let you know how the climb and descend works on that 20° hill!
ps...wasn't expecting a fast climb...just reliable and no wheels slipping/spinning!

Thanks again!
that will be good to know, if you can film it in action that will be awesome,

·
Registered
73 Posts
It will climb that no problem. Just put her in low and lock the rear diff or put it in All Wheele.

But I agree with other comments. This isn't a get up and go machine. It's geared much differently.

·
Registered
8 Posts
So I assume if the brutus is having speed issues or climbing hill issues, it's bobcat counterpart the 3650 would have the same issue's?

·
Registered
5 Posts
We just completed a test drive on our steep (~~25 degree) gravel road. Results were a bit scary. I am going to post a separate thread with specific detailed questions that hopefully can be answered by a tech rep of Polaris.

Climbing is very good. Slow and steady. Good control and lots of torque.

Downhill was a different story. Trying to creep down the hill at say 0.5 MPH the unit will purposefully go out of 4x4 and to 2x4. This is seen via the indicator on the dash and the function. The Hydrostat will try to slow the vehicle down or maintain a slow speed. Unfortunately, only the rear wheels are connected to the engine. Thus the back wheels completely lock and slide. Thus the rear will go whichever direction it wants. Fortunately in our case was a berm on the uphill side. The rear wheels were hugging and riding the berm. If the road was cambered the other direction it could have been much more catastrophic.

·
Registered
73 Posts
We just completed a test drive on our steep (~~25 degree) gravel road. Results were a bit scary. I am going to post a separate thread with specific detailed questions that hopefully can be answered by a tech rep of Polaris.

Climbing is very good. Slow and steady. Good control and lots of torque.

Downhill was a different story. Trying to creep down the hill at say 0.5 MPH the unit will purposefully go out of 4x4 and to 2x4. This is seen via the indicator on the dash and the function. The Hydrostat will try to slow the vehicle down or maintain a slow speed. Unfortunately, only the rear wheels are connected to the engine. Thus the back wheels completely lock and slide. Thus the rear will go whichever direction it wants. Fortunately in our case was a berm on the uphill side. The rear wheels were hugging and riding the berm. If the road was cambered the other direction it could have been much more catastrophic.
You have to understand this isn't a 100% 4X4 system. Yes it's in 4X4 while you have your foot on the gas, it does kick out when you let off the gas. You will notice when you are stopped the rear dif will unlock as well, and reingage when you start moving. This could a control panel issue, maybe it's in 4X4 all the time. But you will notice when you take your foot off the gas or stop, the instrument panel will show you not being in 4X4 or your rear diff locked.

Can anyone confirm that 4X4 and rear-diff is actually unlocked once you stop or your foot is off the treadle?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Also, don't get me wrong, I am not an off road enthusiast so I could be wrong here. But if you are going down a hill and your foot is off the gas, is there is a different front being in 4X4 VS 4X2?

To me, in order to take advantage of 4X4 doesn't your foot need to be on the gas anyway?

·
Registered
116 Posts
The Polaris system is more of an all wheel drive system. When the rear drive wheels start to spin, the front two wheels are engaged. In the OP's situation, since the wheels aren't spinning when trying to propel the vehicle forward, perhaps the AWD system is not engaged?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Also, don't get me wrong, I am not an off road enthusiast so I could be wrong here. But if you are going down a hill and your foot is off the gas, is there is a different front being in 4X4 VS 4X2?

To me, in order to take advantage of 4X4 doesn't your foot need to be on the gas anyway?
There is a big difference if you are going downhill in 4x4 versus 4x2. Think of the vehicle being locked in 4x4 as both the front axle and rear axle (on average between the left and right) having to rotate at the same speed. Thus in my example in coasting the vehicle would be able to slowly (no pedal or light very light pedal) go down hill until a steepness when all 4 wheels would slide. This steepness is much greater than a steepness where just the rear wheels (lightly loaded uphill) would slide.

You can use the brakes, but since all 4 wheels are not locked you are relying on the front to rear brake bias designed into the vehicle. Thus the front could slide first or the rear and will depend on steepness and load on the vehicle,etc. If the four wheels are locked together then it does not really matter which brake disc is doing the work as all four wheels must work in unison. Hope this makes sense.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Get the "command module" update that Polaris put out. It helps with climbing and replaces the pintle lever that I had to replace previously.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts