Polaris Brutus Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After reading about how slow the Brutus/Bobcat goes up hills I almost didnt buy one. Then I started reading about the fixes that made it work right.
Being no Polaris dealers sold the Brutus in my area, I bought the Bobcat 3650, it was horrible trying to mow on any upgrade and worse on the steeper sections. To even make it up the hills while mowing I had to turn off the A/C and just creep up the hill (my GPS said I was doing zero MPH). So I approached the dealer about it, they said that mine wasn't in the vin # range of the ones that had that problem.
After more reading on this forum I ran across a Bobcat person (sorry can't remember your name), that took his Bobcat into the dealer and told them what it was doing. The dealer said theirs a field repair fix for that, and when he got it back he said it was like a whole different machine. (It doesn't bog or slow down on the hills).
I printed out his thread and took it to the dealer and they did some checking and said their is a fix, and they ordered the part and tool to fix and adjust it.
I picked it up last night and drove it about 30 miles home and it works great. I haven't mowed with it yet, and probably won't as it's supposed to snow this weekend, but I did have a very steep hill on my way home that it would hardly creep up before, now even with the A/C on it did 10 MPH up the hill.
I think it's fixed. It also will Cruise effortlessly at 25Mph and it picks up speed much quicker and if I floor it, it will maintain 30-32 MPH on the railroad trail. It doesn't feel like it's abused when going those speeds now, and 25 MPH feels like it's loafing instead of almost everything it has.
I love it, can't wait to mow.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Not sure, haven't backed-up much yet.
I did pull the pontoon boat out of the water, and that went well.
It sure goes forward real good now.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It's called the Command Lever. It's part of the hydrostatic drive and both Polaris and Bobcat have a field fix for it.
Have your dealer check on it. After they replace it they have to realign all the cables and adjustments in the hydrostatic system.
It's free.
Sure made mine go better.

·
Registered
328 Posts
If you have the service manual, the command lever is documented in Chapter 10, not sure what the field fix is, but definitely want to look into it for my 2014 Bobcat.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
A couple of days ago I put it in high and floored it in reverse, got up to about 10mph on my bumpy lawn. That was faster than I wanted to go. Also about a week ago was using the snow blower in low, I didn't look at the speed backing up, but I didn't have to floor it in reverse to back out of the driveway for the next pass.

·
Registered
4 Posts
If anyone could do a copy and paste for chapter 10 section on command lever and adjustments for the Brutus. Man that would be great.

Thanks

·
Registered
57 Posts
If anyone could do a copy and paste for chapter 10 section on command lever and adjustments for the Brutus. Man that would be great.

Thanks
Manual can be found here.

By searching the following terms (exactly) as set forth in quotes below you can find a link for a PDF for each section of the Brutus HD PTO Service Manual. I also note after the right quote sign after the >> what the chapter covers.

Polaris sells the Service Manual if you need it in book form (Polaris Part #9924344).

"2013 BRUTUS Chapter 1 -" >>General information
"2013 BRUTUS Chapter 2 -" >>Maintenance
"2013 BRUTUS Chapter 3 -" >>Engine
"2013 BRUTUS Chapter 4 -" >>Fuel System
"2013 BRUTUS Chapter 5 -" >>Engine Cooling
"2013 BRUTUS Chapter 6 -" >>HVAC
"2013 BRUTUS Chapter 7 -" >>Body / Cab /Frame
"2013 BRUTUS Chapter 8 -" >>Steering / Suspension
"2013 BRUTUS Chapter 9 -" >>Transmission
"2013 BRUTUS Chapter 10 -" >>Hydrostatic Drive
"2013 BRUTUS Chapter 11 -" >>Final Drive
"2013 BRUTUS Chapter 12 -" >>PTO
"2013 BRUTUS Chapter 13 -" >>Hydraulics
"2013 BRUTUS Chapter 14 -" >>Brakes
"2013 BRUTUS Chapter 15 -" >>Electrical

"2013 BRUTUS Snow Blower Service Manual" >> Snow Blower
"2013 BRUTUS Angle Broom Service Manual" >> Angle Broom
"2013 BRUTUS Mower Service Manual" >> Mower

·
Registered
57 Posts
The command lever is under the dump box on the drivers side next to the hydraulic fluid resevoir. under a black plastic cover.

The question is do you have the origional lever or the improved lever. I'm not 100% sure of the difference otjer than the improved one is a bit longer.

·
Registered
328 Posts
I have the files, comes to 40 megabytes, zipped.

There's only 3 pages in Chapter 10 relevant to command lever adjustments, appears to require a special tool, the "Drive Control Adjustment Wrench"?

Reactions: Zan

·
Registered
8 Posts
I received a new 3650 today with the Kohler diesel, I am going to let my dealer know tomorrow and ask why they do not have it right out of the factory. I have had Bobcat skid loaders for the last 15 years. I would NOT have if this was what they sold to me. 2 people in it & have to shift to low gear to get up a slight hill. I live in eastern KS where it is flatland. I bought it to put a 100 gallon sprayer in it and it would be approx. 1150 lbs in the bed. I think I would have to get out & help push it downhill. I will let you know what I find out. They are taking the machine back & giving me my money back tomorrow.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts