Polaris Brutus Forum banner

2014 Brutus HD PTO one click/no start

11K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  franzenel 
#1 ·
Hi, Engine doesn't start. Here is what I've done so far: charged battery, PTO is off. Transmission in Park. Pedals not moved. Sitting in operator's chair. Turn the key, wait for glow plug to turn off and turn the key to the right and get one click sound near the battery. My headlights don't dim and I can turn on the fans on etc. what could it be? If it's the starter solenoid or starter is it a simple swap? Or is it the starter fuse? How can I tell? I'm not too mechanically inclined. Thx in advance.

#2 ·
Chapter_15_Electrical.PDF

Sounds like you've tried the obvious fixes, I'd say the start solenoid is the next place to look. You want to hunt down "Chapter_15_Electrical.pdf"

#3 ·
Rock the pedals back and forth while holding the key in the start position, my pedals need to be adjusted and I have to do that every time I start it. The hydrostatic pedals have a safety switch in the mechanism and it might need to be adjusted like mine.

#4 ·
Make sure transmission is in park

I always thought it was odd that Brutus allows you to start the engine with the transmission in drive, even with the safety switch feature.

IIRC, the treadle pedal position safety switch is defeated if you start the engine with the transmission in park?

#6 ·
...or treadle pedal is in neutral

Mine is happy to start in any gear, so long as my foot is off the treadle.

From the 2014 manual:
Engine will not start unless: Gear selector is in Park, Neutral, or
treadle pedal is in neutral and PTO (if equipped) is OFF.

#7 ·
starter solenoid switch swap out

Hi, I havent had time to work on the Brutus but with winter around the corner I have to get her done. Can anyone reference any "how-to" swap out the starter solenoid switch? i dont know if it is as simple as that or this requires taking a lot of the engine apart. Where is the starter solenoid switch located? is it in the dash or under the seat? my problem is i can't get the bed to go up. is # 3070338 the correct Part number? I would just as easily take it to the dealer but its dead in the water and I have no means of getting it on a trailer. Thank you in advance!

#8 · (Edited)
The solenoid is part of the starter. That looks like the correct part number you posted. It requires disassembly of the starter which you may find difficult if you've not done that sort of thing before. Most would just replace the whole starter assembly. It's probably best accessed from under the machine with the skid plate removed. It's on the front side of the engine. Disconnect the battery before you begin.

I'd do a little more diagnostics before replacing it.... those Denso starters are pretty robust. Unless you've got tons of hours on it or had it submerged in water it's probably not the problem. Measure the battery voltage while attempting to start. Measure the voltage at each starter terminal while attempting to start. Reply back with the results and we'll go from there. Why doesn't the bed go up?

correction... I just looked at the parts diagram, it appears to be a Hitachi starter not Denso.

#9 ·
Thanks you guys for your help! before I can slowly tow it to my garage , the hydraulic arm is in the down position. Is there anyway to get it up so I can traverse a small hill? What front attachment points should I use to tow? I see some oval openings in the hydro arm in the steel. Man I'm hogging the forum....

#10 ·
It's probably easier to remove the arm than to raise it without power. It's designed to come off easily, just a few pins holding it on, no tools required. The lift cylinder will hang freely on the front of the machine and you can use a zip tie or bungee to keep the tilt cylinder from dragging. There isn't really a good tow point up front, any of the holes in the lift arm frame should be OK.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.