New from Michigan - Polaris Brutus Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-17-2015, 08:15 AM Thread Starter

New from Michigan

Good Morning.

I am the grounds mechanic for my state government. I repair all our equipment, mowers, tractors, plows, spreaders, loaders, skid steers, and all other things people bring me.

We don't have a Brutus but we do have a Bobcat 3650 and 4 3600s. I was looking online for replacement mirrors on the 3650 and came across this forum. One of the first threads I noticed was about these units being too slow and lacking power. Our guys constantly complain about these not having enough power to climb hills and are too slow around the complex. Granted, these replaced 4 Gator 825i units which go 44mph so I guess they are spoiled with speed.

I hope this forum can be a good source for info relating to these units since my Bobcat dealer seems to only care about the sale and not anything after.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-17-2016, 11:23 AM

Where in MI are you? I just bought a 2015 3650 from my Bobcat dealer in Grand Rapids, and they are very concerned with making sure I'm happy with my purchase. The speed issue was mainly with the earlier model years from what I have read and was resolved with the command lever service bulletin. Having said that, the Polaris and Bobcat versions do have different software and are tuned differently. The Bobcat reps I have talked to have told me that the Polaris Brutus is tuned more for recreational use and speed, where the 3650 is tuned for more torque and the more utilitarian use.

2015 Bobcat 3650 Deluxe Cab with snowblower, bucket, grapple (with extra bucket), finish mower, and angle broom (engine recall replacement performed).
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-18-2016, 02:24 PM

Garage
Question "Polaris and Bobcat ... do have different software and are tuned differently"

Quote:
Originally Posted by dufunnel View Post
Where in MI are you? I just bought a 2015 3650 from my Bobcat dealer in Grand Rapids, and they are very concerned with making sure I'm happy with my purchase.
That's been my experience as well. My nearest Polaris dealer wasn't really interested in selling a Brutus, couldn't even quote me a cash price. In contrast, my local Bobcat dealer has been great, and was more than happy to get me a cash price and also walk me through the 0% financing terms.

Quote:
... the Polaris and Bobcat versions do have different software and are tuned differently. The Bobcat reps I have talked to have told me that the Polaris Brutus is tuned more for recreational use and speed, where the 3650 is tuned for more torque and the more utilitarian use.
That is interesting!

Can you take a look at the 2015 Bobcat 3650 "Owner's Manual" and see how it compares to the 2015 Polaris Brutus HDPTO Owner's Manual (downloadable from polaris website)?

Bobcat 3650: Material Bucket / Snowblower / Snow Blade
Mods: Snow Service intake, SBL 30" Light Bar, Cab lighting
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-18-2016, 03:56 PM

Quote:
the Polaris and Bobcat versions do have different software and are tuned differently. The Bobcat reps I have talked to have told me that the Polaris Brutus is tuned more for recreational use and speed, where the 3650 is tuned for more torque and the more utilitarian use.
I wonder if there is any truth to that or if it's just salesman B.S. There is only one aspect of the drivetrain that is controlled by software, that's the shifting of the two speed hydraulic motor. I suppose they could have tweaked them a little differenetly, perhaps the Bobcat remains in low speed longer. It would have an effect on acceleration, but top speed and pulling torque cannot be tuned by software on these machines. The engine is entirely mechanical as is the hydrostatic pump.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-22-2016, 04:03 PM

Interesting. I didn't realize more wasn't software controlled. Maybe they were referring to the mechanical tweaking as well? The speed issue seems to have a lengthy procedure for the fix, so conceivably the two manufacturers fix it differently? Could very easily be salesman BS, but this came from a Bobcat guy, so I'm more inclined to put stock in his statements than it coming from Polaris.

2015 Bobcat 3650 Deluxe Cab with snowblower, bucket, grapple (with extra bucket), finish mower, and angle broom (engine recall replacement performed).

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Polaris Brutus Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page