Command Lever Problem? HELP! - Polaris Brutus Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-13-2016, 11:00 AM Thread Starter

Command Lever Problem? HELP!

Hi Guys, I have a 2013 HDPTO with less than 100 hours on it that has developed a problem which may be related to the Command Lever/HP spring and I'm hoping that someone can help me diagnose the fix. I've searched the forum but I don't see that anyone has had my exact issue before. As snow will be beginning soon, I need to get this fixed ASAP or I may not be able to plow get out of my driveway soon!

Symptoms, Observations, etc.
1) Engine starts and idles fine.
2) When accelerating medium/hard or under a load (driving uphill) OR even downhill at a high speed/RPMs (3,000'ish), the engine will suddenly bog down after 50-100 yards of travel. By bogging down I mean down to about 1000-1100 RPM.
3) After it bogs down, if you let off the pedal and stop the engine will recover to a normal idle after about 20 seconds and, if you take off slowly, it operates normally.
4) If you keep the RPMs below 2,200, everything will operate normally, uphill (at least at the max grade on my property), downhill, idle, etc.
5) All of the above will repeat time after time. Air temperatures were 45-50 degrees yesterday when I tested this.
6) Engine temperature is normal, idle speed is normal.
7) I've drained the water separator several times, no evidence of water. Fuel is fresh and I use a stabilizer religiously.
8) Air filter is practically new (2 hours) and clean.
9) Hydraulic oil level is fine and looks normal (not frothy).
10) I haven't torn it apart yet to determine if I have the old un-adjustable hp spring set-up or the adjustable type (my guess it's the old type but I'll verify that).

Any thoughts/help you can provide would be greatly appreciated! I'd like to fix this myself, with Christmas just around the corner I don't need a huge Polaris repair shop bill.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-15-2016, 09:22 AM Thread Starter

Solved: After I actually started tearing things apart I discovered that the issue had nothing to do with the Command Lever. The root cause of the problem was that I have algae in my fuel! This wasn't evident when you check for water in the fuel because the filter was catching all the black/brown goo. I don't know if it came from my most recent fill up (1 week) or if I just stirred up things during the last fill up such that it really clogged the filter. Apparently, the clogged filter would let enough fuel pass through to start and idle OK but when the engine needed more the filter couldn't pass enough and would starve for fuel and bog down. I'm glad I checked the fuel filter first because I almost didn't...it only had 18 hours on it and I had almost convinced myself that it couldn't be a fuel issue. I changed the fuel filter and it runs great now. I'm considering draining the tank so I don't need to change filters at a much higher frequency than normal but I'm going to try Bio-Kleen fuel treatment first which is supposed to kill algae and microbes and make the fuel usable.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-16-2016, 07:19 PM

Interestingly enough, I ran into a similar issue not long ago. Mine wouldn't start at all. It happened to be on my trailer already, so I took it in to the dealer. They found hat appeared to be rust flakes in my tank and clogging the fuel filter. Since I bought it from the dealer as a demo unit, I told them it must have been there since before I bought it as I have never filled it out of a rusty diesel can before.

Having said that, I have issues with bogging down like you mention on a regular basis under load. It's usually going uphill on my 15% grade driveway with the PTO running though, so I just have to slow down.

2015 Bobcat 3650 Deluxe Cab with snowblower, bucket, and angle broom (engine recall replacement performed). Also added Bobcat side mirrors and rearview mirror.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Polaris Brutus Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page