Transmission Motor Mods - Polaris Brutus Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-06-2017, 09:43 PM Thread Starter

Transmission Motor Mods

Interceptor posted this picture of the trans motor swash plate minimum displacement angle from 9 to 6. What I don't know is how much shorter to make the spring retainer or whether one can be purchased outright from Sauer Danfoss. Any help?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-06-2017, 09:56 PM Thread Starter

The picture:
Attached Images
File Type: png Screenshot_2017-04-06-21-54-55_1491530181233.png (429.8 KB, 16 views)
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-10-2017, 06:50 PM Thread Starter

The sectional view of the trans motor, the minimum displacement stop location is clearly shown. That's an easy swap out.
Attached Images
File Type: png Screenshot_2017-04-10-16-22-09_1491864437735.png (229.3 KB, 9 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-10-2017, 06:56 PM Thread Starter

Yes a replacement minimum angle stop can be purchased to increase transmission speed. Send me an email for the PDF service instructions.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-11-2017, 11:47 AM Thread Starter

K45 is the model number of the transmission motor, 0,1,6,7,8 and 9 minimum displacement stops are Avaialble for about $20. You need the motor number and model number to order a different minimum stop angle. Motor number 83020504. I have a 6 on the way. Your local Danfoss distributor can order you one today.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-11-2017, 11:56 AM Thread Starter

The trans motor is basically a two speed and that is what we feel when we think the transmission shifts with the treadle pedal. Some work understanding the servo piston spring force is needed to make the motor transition from Max to minimum angle more smoothly. This will maintain power(torque) up through the engine RPMs.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-24-2017, 07:45 PM

Did you get your 6 degree stop in yet? I wouldn't be surprised if you really bog the engine when it shifts. Mine works great but I'm turbocharged. I fooled around a little bit with the hydraulic motor shifting. I tried modulating the motor shift solenoid valve using a PWM controller/driver. It cannot me modulated, it's either on or off. The motor could possibly be modulated hydraulically by using a different type of valve, but it's not intended to operate that way, it is a two speed motor not a variable speed motor. The rate of transition can be changed by altering the orifice size on the shift line. I don't use high range anymore, it stays in low all the time and it's fast enough for my needs. jumped out the gearshift switch with a resistor to make the ECU think it's in high range all the time. I think the high range shift map works better with my combination of turbo, fixed command lever, and 6 degree motor stop and low range. I've been wanting to add a switch in line with the shift solenoid so I can prevent it from shifting. Sort of a low-low range for slow heavy work.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-24-2017, 08:28 PM Thread Starter

Yes I do have the 6 stop, but have not installed as yet. To many issues to correct first lol. As you noted going there(6 stop) requires every bit of torque that engine can muster and a pump that is making all the flow it can. I have the engine about right now, but the pump pintle lever is not taking the swash plate to max angle because the forward throttle cable is too short.

You are right, the on off solenoid does not have a magnetic flux path that is conducive to power stepping response. The combination of spring rate, hydraulic force and orificing can dampen the swash plate movement between high and low motor speed(old school propotional response) but my calculations show this to be most unlikely with the motor components, the orifice sizing and length are not possible without a reduction hydraulic force area. So I have abandoned that effort.

Been eyeing up a 7 or 8 stop as well, but keep me posted on your proportional effort, that has real promise if can be done! Controller logic and a ramp able current may be tough to get, but that's the ticket.

Thanks for all your help Interceptor!
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-25-2017, 09:57 PM Thread Starter

I just reread your post Interceptor, a line orifice may be just the ticket. Happen to know what size that orifice diameter is? Probably in the valve block, but right before the servo cavity would be ideal.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-06-2017, 06:45 PM

It's been quite a while since I've been actively working on it, all my notes and docs are on an old laptop that I don't use anymore, I'll have to dig that stuff up. I think the motor doc for the K45 from Sauer Danfoss describes the use of an orifice in the shift port to adjust the rate of shift.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Polaris Brutus Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page