Failed starter - Polaris Brutus Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-24-2017, 01:19 AM Thread Starter

Failed starter

For the most part my Brutus has performed as needed. But... a few weeks ago it initially struggled to start, and then the starter wasn't spinning at all, just click, click...

Checked battery. Charged to make sure. Even tried jumping: I knew this was futile, but I wanted to pass the time until I could figure my next move

Verified that all the relays were functioning. Again, this probably wasn't necessary as I was getting a distinct solenoid clicking. Interesting, however, because I found in that console area, I have the HD model with the front hydraulics and, hence, the joystick, mice had been active. Relieved to find that none of the wiring (computer is there!) was bothered.

Getting to the wires on the starter is really the pits. Decided to just yank the entire starter (easier). Verified that the solenoid was working. Starter gear, however, wasn't. Pulled the starter apart and found that the brushes were in horrible shape. Two of the brushes were retracted (stuck, had not been wearing). Looks like the thing had been sitting at the bottom of the ocean! I managed to free up the stuck brushes and get things cleaned up, but not until after I'd already found and ordered a replacement set that I found on Ebay: no big deal, $22 or so and I now have a spare! Put everything back together and all is back to normal.

I suspect that this premature failure has a lot to do with the fact that the unit sat for several years: 2013 model year; I purchased it in 2016 with about 12 hours (or was that miles?) on it. My rear oil seal leak is also the result of sitting. So, folks should keep these things in mind if picking up one of these New Old Stock machines.

Need to do a full service on this thing. Filter hunt now on! (using http://www.brutusforum.com/forum/pol...ference-2.html to figure it all out)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-13-2017, 11:33 AM

I am in the same situation. click click no starting. in the process of removing the starter. how the heck did you get to the top mounting bolt? i have tried every combo i have
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-13-2017, 02:20 PM

okay i guess i hadn't tried every combo lol. got it off

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Polaris Brutus Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page