Throttle Control Cables - Polaris Brutus Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-15-2017, 05:03 AM Thread Starter

Throttle Control Cables

Just curious, I'll bet those of you who have a good low idle per spec 1250 RPM have no more than 3400RPM high idle and conversely if you have a good high idle 3750 RPM your low idle is about 1900 RPM.

I would have never believed my stock Brutus could make 30 MPH on level ground. It did today because I made sure I had the spec maximum high idle RPM of 3750 when I floored on the forward pedal.

Here is the deal, the throttle cable at the fuel control stroke is too short to give you both the proper low and high idle. It is a good thing the cable mount is not solid. It can easily be tweaked by bending it closer for better low idle or pulled farther away from the fuel control for a better high idle. Because that cable is short of the needed stroke, it does not give you both low and high idle correctly.

My engine throttle independent of the cable gives me exactly 1250 low and 3750 high idle as it came from the factory. Now the only place you will get your 27 HP and max torque is at 3750 RPM.

More Later.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-15-2017, 06:17 PM Thread Starter

Well.. I have 3750 RPM with the PTO throttle, but was unable to get that with the forward pedal, only 3650 RPM there and 3200 RPM with the reverse pedal. Low idle is 1750 RPM. Still managed 30 MPH on level road.

Uphill here is a steep proposition with sections of road at a 45 degree incline. The Brutus managed 10 MPH up those in low gear.

I have the modified command lever per Interceptor's picture in place. While adjusting for forward RPM I noticed the plate flexing at the cable adjustment location. My assumption is that cable is too short of travel as well.

That's my findings and two full days of chasing adjustments trying to get the horse power and torque the engine has to give if only the control cables had the travel to get it.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-24-2017, 03:37 PM

It's been a while since I've been under the bed, but I don't recall having any trouble getting the required range out of the cables. Mine idles at 900 and tops out at 3800 using the pedal.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-28-2017, 10:33 AM

i just got mine. mine tops out at 25 mph and 3650 with the peddle it's a 2013
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-26-2017, 12:31 PM Thread Starter

I have been on a mission to straighten out the power problems with my 2013 Brutus. By changing the throttle hole used by the cable at the engine I was to get both spec low and high idle, some tweaking of the cable mounting bracket was also needed.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-26-2017, 12:58 PM Thread Starter

Chapter 1 I stand corrected:

High Idle. 3700 100 RPM. Low Idle. 1350 100 RPM
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-26-2017, 02:10 PM Thread Starter

The reason for the low idle setting @ 1350+/-100rpm is to maintain adequate alternator output for electrical accessory loads.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-23-2017, 10:09 AM Thread Starter

The ah ha moment has arrived. I now know why each vehicle has a dead set top treadle pedal RPM no matter what you do. Interested? Check this picture from underneath the forward section of the treadle pedal. Polaris machined a flat to rest on the frame cross member. What ever the tolerance stack up is, is what you get. Mine was 3743 RPM. Yes the treadle pedal is coming out for an adjustment of that contact point.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20170423_095607487_1492956572117.jpg (72.2 KB, 11 views)
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-24-2017, 05:59 AM Thread Starter

After hours of work there is just no getting around a forward throttle cable with only 3/4's of an inch of travel. The Treadle Pedal cable offers just over 2 inches of travel, what a tease... Even the reverse throttle cable has more travel. Conclusion, no further improvement will be had until a satisfactory throttle cable assembly is in hand. Now I'm looking for a good custom cable maker.

The Treadle Pedal forward modification above did help achieve more stroke. That ended up helping reverse travel because the forward throttle cable is so short.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-24-2017, 07:40 PM Thread Starter

One thing to consider, the command lever has just over an inch of travel between the forward throttle cable mounting points. Yours may be different, but that means I have never had full forward pump flow to the trans motor. In this case flow translates into more speed.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Polaris Brutus Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page